On an average each household in the UK wastes food worth 470 pounds to a huge 700 pounds in a year. Just think of huge savings you can do if you do not waste food. But often however prudent we are, we have huge leftovers. Reheating a dish and consuming it on the next day just doesn’t appeal to a whole lot of people.
So here we give you a few tips on how to turn leftovers into yummy dishes that is craved by every member in your household, while also saving a few hundred pounds in your budget.
1. Bread: This is one dish that turns stale very often before you finish off the loaf. While stale bread makes unappetising sandwiches, it can be easily used for other yummy dishes. Desserts like bread pudding often taste better with stale bread than freshly cooked bread.
2. Make use of leftover vegetables and meat from last night’s dinner by making them as fillings for yummy pie. You just have to make the outer shell of the pie and prepare some quick sauces to go with the pie and you are done.
3. Leftover rice can be easily turned into take out style Chinese Fried Rice. All you have to do is add a few veggies and meat and you have a whole meal prepared in a jiffy for the whole family.
4. Stale biscuits make the perfect base of creamy cheesecakes. Just powder the biscuits in a blender and add them as the base for your cheesecake. You can then top them with cream cheese and add in your favourite flavour. This is a dessert that uses minimum effort but never fails to impress your guests.
5. Vegetables tend to get dry and soggy after being left in the fridge for more than a week. Using these veggies in a stir fry is not advisable. However you can use them in a mash or as fillings for your pita pockets. They taste just the same and no one will know the difference.
Read Also: Should You Invest In A Cooking Thermometer?